Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's Just a Drink!

"I would like a triple grande, 180 degree, nonfat, no foam, double cupped, stirred, hazelnut latte." This is the type of language I have learned while working at Starbucks. The world of coffee has proven to be a very new experience for me. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed my time working at a local coffee shop for the past three months. However, I was recently very dissappointed with the experience a fellow barista dealt with shortly before my shift.

Apparently a customer did not have a satisfactory experience while visiting our store. As a result this person proceeded to cause quite a scene while she passionately complained to one of the employees. The part of this incident that stood out the most was that the person noted that they were on their way to church! Now I can understand that is normal to be frustrated when your order is not taken correctly or your food is cold. I have personally had many experiences with the onions left on a burger when I requested them to be removed. However, this situation reminded me of a few important lessons.

One: Christians need to act like Christians at all times. This person (if she was a Christian) did not do anything to promote the kingdom of God by her actions. By overreacting to the situation and then noting that she was on her way to church she did a great job of furthering the idea that Christians are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. It is imperative that believers seek to live their lives in such a way that we point people to the reality of a gracious and sovereign God (Matthew 5:16).

Two: It struck me that I live in a culture that causes a scene over an incorrect order when there are people that do not have enough food to eat. We tend to bemoan our difficulties in America when Christians in other countries are being killed because of their faith in Jesus Christ. I was reminded of the need for me to personally try to keep things in perspective.

So, next time you go to Starbucks, give the person a break. Try smiling and acting in a way that will honor Jesus Christ. And then if your drink is made incorrectly, try to keep it all in perspective. Try being thankful for the millions of other blessings God has given to you already. I know that this does not come naturally for me but I pray that I can learn to be obedient in small things such as this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so true i myself need to even remind myself of this, i really need to be Christ centered when im driving.